Saturday, March 5, 2016

There's No Business Like Show Business by Gregor

There’s No Business Like Show Business

I had just walked out of the calf shed ready for supper trying to digest what Callum had just told me. As I stripped of my boiler suit in the boot room a wave of thoughts splashed around my head. As I sat down at the table for the usual beef based meal. The question burst out. “Is it true that I can show a calf at New Deer?” Heads all around the table looked up. “Yes,” said Mum and Aunty Alison in unison. Yes! Yippeeee! Whahoo!!! Finally I would show a beast at New Deer Show. It wasn’t exactly Turriff or the famous Highland Show but it was still great.

I was given Candy (Angel). She was stubborn, she was a mess but she could walk and was a fine Jersey. That was what mattered. I started walking her the next day and it wasn’t easy but with Scott and Craig’s expert help I was starting to get the hang of it. After another week of practice and I was ready.

I woke to Granda’s thunderous snores and consistent sleep talking and got out of bed to get ready. After ages spent waiting for Granda we were off. I arrived in mufti as I had quite awhile to wait before my turn. Eventually we found the homebase were the Taylor’s were struggling to set up a gazebo. After a fair amount of colourful language we had it up.

After killing some time just walking around and admiring some new farming technology we headed back to base. I quickly got changed into black trousers, a white shirt, a tie and grabbed Candy’s Halter. 5mins...3mins...2mins...1min…. BOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thunder. Stuff you blimen Scottish weather! Stuff you! I felt like crying and my hopes trickled away with the bucketing rain. Everyone crowded under the gazebo (livestock too) to get out of the rain. After ten uncomfortable minutes of leaning against Candy a bedraggled judge who looked like a drowned cat came running in with a large plastic box and said he was looking for someone called Gregor. My heart skipped a beat as he said to me, “I’m fair sorry young man that you won’t show an animal but here’s your prize,” I was handed a yellow 3rd rosette and three pounds as the judge looked left then right and disappeared into the fading rain.
 
Ten minutes later the rain had stopped and my cousins were showing their animals with smirks on their faces. Oh well, there is no business like show business! 

No comments:

Post a Comment