Saturday, March 5, 2016

Ice Ice Baby by Rebecca T

Ice Ice Baby🎿

It was in the middle of July, and it was a blistering hot day. As we were staying in Castle Hill, we went skiing every single day. Of course there was no exception for today, as we drove up the never-ending mountain path to Porters ski field, we got stopped by a man in a fluro orange vest. “Sorry guys. Hutt is closed. You’ll have to park here.” My jaw dropped in shock, there was no way I was gonna walk up half of the mountain with all of my ski gear. “You can get the shuttle up,” he finished with a heavy sigh. I think he knew what a long day it was gonna be. We waited for what seemed like an hour, 2 shuttles had come=e and went, only taking the people who were here before us. Finally a 3rd shuttle came and we all were squashed in. “Cosy,” My dad remarked with a wide grin.

After a long hot day of skiing and waiting in massive lines for the T-bar, we decided to call it a day. “Why don’t we ski down the mountain, instead of waiting an hour for the shuttle?” Dad asked us. Now after a long day of skiing I was getting pretty tired, but who am I to pass up a challenge. After several mutters and grumbles we set off down the mountain. It wasn’t too hard apart from the many bushes and rocks that we struggled to avoid. Soon we reached a small river running down the mountain about 1 metre wide. “C’mon let's cross it” Dad said eagerly. “This is gonna be funny,” Mutters Bridgette as she takes out her Iphone to video us. First Dad crosses it with his skis on, then followed by Anna and Catherine, Bridgette tucks her Iphone in her pocket and crosses the river.

First I slowly side step across the river, then I see a small bush in the middle. ‘It will be so much easier to cross without skis on’ I thought. So climbed onto the bush and I chucked my poles to Anna who caught them with ease. As I lifted my right ski to unclip my left ski, I suddenly lose my balance and topple backwards into the icy river with a loud SPLASH. Everyone erupts with laughter and I grumbled still in the freezing water. “Stop laughing at me!” I whined, “It’s not funny!” Dad takes grab of my hand and pulls me up with a grunt. “I should have.. recorded.. that,” Bridgette said in between splutters of laughter. Anna and Catherine were just standing there, absolutely beside themselves with laughter.

My teeth started chattering from the cold, wet clothes on me. My hair was dripping and my hands were numb. “Quick let’s get you back to the truck,” Dad says, still chuckling. To make matters worse we had to walk along the road for the last bit, and I was freezing cold with icy wet ski gear on. Finally we reached the car and I couldn’t have been more relieved. When we got back to Castle Hill, we had Hot Chocolate and Pancakes. At least we had one good thing happen today.

By Rebecca T

1 comment:

  1. I like your story Rebecca. I was very INTENSE. I liked the part where your dad said " COSY " when there was only one shuttle to take you and your family up the hill. It was also very funny. I liked your story because it had humour, intense and how it had some very funny parts.I liked the way you put in a lot of interesting adjectives, verbs, similes and metaphors in your great story Rebecca :}:}:}:}:}

    ReplyDelete