Saturday, February 27, 2016

Triathlon Recount by Gregor

For the second Friday in a row we had a sporting event Friday before last was Swimming Sports last Friday the 19th was Triathlon I had put a fair amount of training into this and I was expecting a result. Thankfully I noted as I went to feed the chickens it was not going to be a very hot day. During the morning at school I tried to keep my cool as the minutes ticked by. Finally we were ready to go. My heart began to beat a tattoo in my chest as we trudged down to Jellie Park which would be hosting the event.




As we arrived at the complex I sat down in my line on the playing field. I had forever to wait as the “12’s” were racing before me. After what seemed like forever we saw Mr McInnes jogging down the hill behind us. The eleven year olds stood up and followed him grudgingly towards the pool.

As we came within twenty meters of the pool we were told to stop so that the swimmers running past us to the bikes had a clear path. As the last person zipped past us we carried on. The girls went before us so we had a bit of time to get ready. As the girls turned to begin the second length I realised that there was no backing out now. Suddenly a queer feeling came over me. As I jumped into the water I thought to myself, “Gosh it’s cold today, the cold easterly must have taken all of the heat off the water.” But after that there was no time to think about anything else other than swimming as we were told to put one had on the wall and then… Bang!

As Mr Bonisch once said, “The start of a triathlon will never be fair, it is messy and uncomfortable but you just have to get on with it.” This was no different I was crammed up against the lane roped and had to work my way out in front of the group. Once out at the front it was easy going.
I was soon at the other other end shoving on my shoes and pulling on my top as I ran. Sadly that lead was not to last as Max passed me on the way to the bikes. During the bike I managed to stay within a hundred meters of him, skidding around corners and pedalling flat out on the flats. As I pulled into transition I began to wonder where everyone else had got to.

During the run I caught sight of who was behind me. It was Zac Brixton trying his luck for third place. That made me wonder where Sam de Roo had got to as he was usually a strong competitor. Perhaps he had got a puncture, or copped a nasty one coming off his bike while flying around a corner. As I zoomed down the funnel High Fiving as I went I realised that I was still in second place. Yippeeeeeeeeee!!! I was through to Centrals. That was amazing. Sadly on that day a lot of peoples dreams were broken. Samuel’s chain came off with his shoe lace tangled up in it, Harrison pushed himself so hard he vomited only to get fourth and miss out on the dream team to Centrals and Zac just had to get third instead of Samuel even though he had walked the run with stitch. Oh well I suppose you can’t be pitch perfect every time...

No comments:

Post a Comment