Saturday, February 20, 2016

Swimming Sports Recount by Hannah F

It was Friday the 12 of February 2016 the dreadful day of the Christ the King school Swimming Sports. This event is a chance for competitive swimmers to race against other people in their age group. For this day each child from year 5-8 had to compete in two or more swimming races. As I am not the best swimmer I entered the 25 metre backstroke and 25 metre freestyle.

I was waiting for my name to be called giving myself a hard time, as I thought about all the bad things that could happen whilst I was in the pool. Suddenly I heard “11 year old girls backstroke 25metres.” It was time. I waited anxiously in the line.  Standing on the block, I couldn’t believe I went through with it.  My biggest threat in the race was Abby and Bailey. Although both of them were my friends I was still competitive with them. My hands were shaking. Everything was making me worried. I felt sick; I didn’t think I could go any further.

“Take your marks.”  Suddenly I heard the deafening bang of the wooden clappers. I had a delayed start, then it made me click I have to start, I pushed off the wall with as much power that I had, my arms started to ache before I even got the to the halfway line. I didn’t bother looking around to see the other competitors, I knew I wasn’t going as well as I thought I was hoping but it didn’t matter at the time all I was worrying about was how close I was to the wall. My arms were smacking against the warm water and I could hear everyone cheering for their house groups. Luckily I suddenly touched the wall relieved that it was over, I knew I didn’t go too well but I did beat one person and that was a huge achievement for me considering I usually come last.

To be honest it was an amazing feeling it was over even though I didn’t do very well I did try. The feeling of knowing that it was over was a better feeling than opening Christmas presents.  I knew that it wasn’t going to be easy but when the weight was off my shoulders I was happy and slightly pleased with the results I mean I could have done better but at least I tried.

Overall the Christ the King school swimming sports 2016 were dreadful as I thought, but I was happy with the result and I am already dreading next year’s Swimming Sports. 

No comments:

Post a Comment