Saturday, February 27, 2016

Triathlon Recount by Alannah

                        CTK Triathlon 2016

Finally, the day had come, the CTK school triathlon. Butterflies were swirling around in my stomach as I carefully walked between the huge amount of bikes lined up on the turf. I was excited.

As the day went particularly slow, triathlon o’clock occurred. The senior and middle school lined up on the tennis court then started to head off. We walked over to the transition area and laid down our bikes in our matching age group. I wanted to get a good spot so I could transition quickly.

“Girls 11 years!” Miss Gill roared, and my friends and I stood straight up.
Nervousness exploded inside me. I was shaking with fear. We strolled over to the pool where Mr Atherton was waiting. As we got our T-shirts and trainers ready, Mr Atherton called us up and we hopped in. We all gave a great gasp as the water was freezing cold. I was too busy day-dreaming about the race ahead of me that I didn’t hear Mrs Coltman yell out any words to get me positioned. All of a sudden, I heard the clappers give a loud clap and suddenly I reacted soon enough to get a good start. I bolted down to the other end taking the lead. My legs kicking like mad. Gliding gracefully, my hand smacked into the wall and I ducked under the lane rope to finish another length of the pool. Then my finger tips reached the wall and I quickly jumped out, stuffed my feet into my shoes and sprinted to my bike, my arms struggling to fit in my shirt. I did not dare to look behind me. As my bike came into sight, I started to run faster. Multi-tasking, I picked up my helmet and slipped it onto my head while fixing up my shoes that were folded in.

Swinging my legs over the seat of my bike, I switched into a suitable gear to start off with on the stones. I passed Mrs Abbott who was cheering me on. I was picking up speed as I had to go down a steep hill, no brakes for me today that’s for sure. I could now feel the wind blow against me as I turned a sharp corner. My legs powering my bike through the wind. I saw Mrs Kinder in sight and she gave a mark of red on my arm. I took a sigh as I remembered I would have to work extremely hard to keep my placing in the bike. Biking was my least strong event. Another one and a half laps to go and I would emerge into the run. Now going onto my half lap, I took a glimpse behind me as I turned the corner. No one was there. Feeling relieved, I picked up my speed and soon enough, I reached the run transition and dumped my bike and helmet.


My legs felt like jelly as I started the first lap of the run. I was pacing myself until the conclusion of the race. I always like to have a sprint finish. But as I went on to my second lap, it just struck me, I don’t need to do any sort of technique, I just have to power through it the whole way. So that’s what I did. At one point, I had to cross a little stream, it felt really refreshing. Then, I felt a searing pain in my stomach it was the stitch (dun dun dun!!). My legs now running out of energy. But witnessing how much people tried their hardest not to stop, I felt the urge to carry on. Receiving my last blue mark of the race, I now sprinted to the finish line. With both delight and pain, I had a smile on my face as I crossed it. Puffing and panting, I took a big gulp of water and rushed over to the start of the finish line, cheering on all my competitors. After my friends had all finished, we had something to eat, we all definitely deserved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment